The best thing about canoeing at Intundla is that once you push yourself off from the grassy banks, you are completely free to relax. There are no interferences from the outside world (make sure you leave your cell phone in your room), no more demands, you are ‘out of reach’. Making canoeing the ideal solution when you want to get away, for a short while, from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Let the stress go and allow your mind to unwind
Canoeing allows you to go at your own speed as slow as you like or to push yourself for a few sprints. Which is good for the blood flow and general mental health. Gliding over the glassy water, focusing on nothing but the light lapping of the water against the hull and the gurgling of the paddle as it is drawn through the water, lets your mind relax in a way that is not un-similar to meditation. The freedom and exhilaration that comes from gliding through the water can be quite refreshing.
Share the experience with your friends and family
The dam at Intundla has several canoes available for use. You can play in the dam with friends or take a scenic trip to get a little workout and to explore the beauty of your surroundings. If you have some fishing gear drop a line and see if you can entice a black bass or two to take the bait. Read more: Fishing for Bass at Intundla
To have a fun time canoeing, you should be comfortable and prepared. Here are some tips to help you get started:
• Wear light clothing and possibly a comfortable bathing suit in case you get splashed or wet.
• Get a hat to stay cool and to protect you from the sun.
• Make sure that you wear shoes that don’t come off easily. If you would like to wear sandals or flip-flops, make sure they can be secured in the back.
• Bring a change of clothes with you so that you have dry clothes to slip into when you leave the river.
• Tie down anything that you don’t want to lose. This will ensure that you don’t lose anything if the canoe happens to tip over.
• Check the canoe before getting it into water to make sure there are no holes or any other signs of damage.
• Make sure that you are in possession of flotation devices and other important gear before getting on the water.
• Load the canoe properly. Keeping the weight low and evenly distributed will allow for maximum manoeuvrability on the water.
Canoeing can be a very rewarding and relaxing experience; especially when you are with good friends. If you are planning on doing this activity, taking precautions will ensure that you have a safe, fun, and comfortable time.